Sunday 12 July 2009

Trosley Country Park

Despite the reasonably strong wind the sunny weather (and all of Greenies excellent butterfly posts) found me at Trosley Country Park over lunchtime. I checked out the ride where I have seen violet helleborine in the past and there are at least 6 good plants that I reckon in a week or so will looking their best. On the sunny south facing slopes above Trottiscliffe chalk hill blues (30) were out in force along with meadow browns(40), ringlets (20), gatekeepers(5) and small (4) and large whites (8). I then saw what I'm sure was a white admiral flying up the slope along the edge of a bramble hedge toward the wood at the top. A first for me at Trosley and I'm not sure whether they do actually occur there. Back in the woods and walking to the cafe I heard around 3 crossbills but couldn't see them, not until a hot brew and bakewell tart were being enjoyed did a further 3 crossbills fly across the car park clearing. Walking back to the car I noticed a small female type adder curled up next to some refugia. All in all a great couple of hours.

Also had an adult Med gull flying over Longfield yesterday, they seem to be getting more frequent in the area.



6 comments:

Cheryl said...

Hi John.....I have spent many days at Trosley....taking my children on picnics etc. I lived at Rochester before I moved here, so was not that far away....

What a fabulous butterfly count....heartwarming after the wet summer last year......

Greenie said...

John ,
Good to hear you've been out again .
I would be surprised if White Admiral wasn't there , perfect habitat .I looked up Kent.But.Con. reports , none reported there over 5 years , but several reports in surrounding areas .
Well done with the Crossbills .

Warren Baker said...

oooh! I'm so envious about the Crossbills!

Simon said...

Well done with the Crossbills John! I too had some at Tudeley on Monday.

Ken. said...

Hi John. Good number of butterflies you found, then a Adder on top of that.Then to topit all, Crossbills. Well done.

Richard said...

Nice blog here.