Saturday 2 August 2008

Trosley Country Park

A mid afternoon wander around Trosley C.P. in the initially overcast conditions turned into a very pleasant stroll as the sun finally came through and blue sky appeared. Along the top ride a single migrant hawker checked us both out whilst the odd small white and meadow brown were in evidence. We also had a single slow worm under one of the corrugated sheets. Tried as a I could violet helleborine eluded me so giving up my search we went down the slope in the sunshine in the hope of a few butterflies. At the base of the slope plenty of marjoram was in flower and I must say that the numbers of butterflies was good to see. Meadow browns, common blues, chalkhill blues and small whites along with many bumblebees and hoverflies all seemed to be enjoying the sunshine and display of flowers. The climb back up to the wood had to be speedy so as not to get too wet in a passing shower. Then walking back to the car I suddenly noticed two violet helleborines. One is about 18 inches high and has at least 30 flowers ready to open up in around a week or so, the other was almost the opposite in stature only have two flowers ready to open. I was very pleased and rounded off the trip with a celebratory cuppa at the cafe.

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

I used to take my children to Trosley country park......you sound as though you had a wonderful stroll.....marjoram does attract many insects, it also serves me well for cooking.....

The butterflies have appeared in the garden in the last couple of weeks, it is good to see them around.....

Steve said...

Nice one John....look forward to having a look myself..

Warren Baker said...

Trosley also used to be an old haunt of mine john, when I lived in nearby west malling. I remember seeing all that stuff back in the 80's.